I woke up today at 5am. Usually I would wake up at 6am but this week was different. I washed and dressed up (for today I picked a polo from my "non-japorms" set), I brought a different bag, a different wallet and a handful of coins.
What's so different about today? For starters, I will be reporting at Cybergate over at Pioneer. I've been there only once last year so the place is still somewhat new to me. Next, my car is out for repairs and maintenance and lastly, I didn't want mom to drive me all the way which means I'll have to do something that I haven't done, since my high school days - take mass transit.
Instead of the mail bag I always bring, I have a small bag with my "bare necessities" - a pen, a comb and coins. I emptied out my wallet to just contain a few bills and an ID. No credit cards, no Palmtops, no iPods, no extra items. Other than my phone, the most expensive thing on my bag would be...well, my bag which cost 10 bucks over at Aurora (Illinois).
I took the trike going out of our place. I remembered taking these trikes over to the basketball court so I can get my butt kicked by the senior players. Also taking the same trike was one of my oldest (as in earliest) closest friends from way back in the 80's when we would go biking, play in construction lots, play all-day with my family computer (up up down down left right left right B A B A... If you know that you're an 80's kid). First time we've seen each other since high school. From the main road I took an jeep then a van to the LRT (Light Rail Transit) station where I looked lost trying to insert my card. The train went through a tunnel and immediately it reminded me of Chicago - the noisy L Train with the grinding metal sounds. After a few stops, I had to switch over to another line - the MRT and like what I did over at the LRT station, I just followed people around and lined up where they lined up. The LRT ride was a pleasant one. No crowds, no problems.
Boarding the MRT was hell.
I was waiting behind the yellow line, there were around 8 people behind me, the train comes, the door opens and people were there packed like sardines. People from behind just start pushing, nothing happened and no one was able to board. 3 trains later, the people behind are starting to get irritated because they have been waiting for 20 minutes and are still unable to board. The next train comes and when everyone saw that it was not that full, I turned around and faced all of them. I learned this while boarding the red line after a Bears game at Grant Park. The doors opened and they pushed me into the train. I got on! They didn't. Doors closed and I had my "nye nye nye-nye-nye" face. Amazing that this was one place where people could push and push without complaining. It was like a cross check at a hockey game. As long as you push with your body, it was all fair. Finally the jampacked train stopped at my station and I positioned myself at the door. I peeked outside and saw no platform. What the ?!? The door opened on the other side, I pushed everyone across the car just in time before the doors closed and again, no one complained.
Finally I arrived at my destination. Nothing really interesting here other than the instructor looking like Joel Godard from Late Night with Conan O'Brien. Oh, I met again my long lost college friend Carla who was in the same class I was and my not so lost Chicago friend Gezelle who was teaching in the other room. (She did look like she lost a LOT of weight... kain kasi ng kain sa Chicago :P)
Going home was just tough along the MRT. From Cubao, Carla showed me the way through the mall to the connecting LRT which I found in no time. From the station, it was two more jeepneys and all that's left now is the trike to my house.
Now comes the weird part. I approached the station and only one tricycle was there with the driver standing beside it, staring at me. It was like he was waiting for me. As I approached and was about to ask if he was driving today but before I could say anything he said (with a friendly voice) he knows who I am and where I live. The last time I took these trikes was 9 years ago so I think it's impossible he remembered me. It was very weird. What next?
Follow the white rabbit?
Overall it was a pretty interesting day though I missed Jaye so so much =(
Wednesday, March 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment