It was a nice peaceful Saturday. I was lying on the couch, feet up on the furniture with a remote control while watching TV and eating Ruffles potato chips. I need a drink. I tried to stand up but I had to sit back down. I rolled off the couch and into the ground and crawled my way to the fridge where I kneeled up to get a can of Coke before crawling back to the couch.
Flashback to 3 hours ago. I was walking to the train station in Des Plaines, Illinois, a city a few miles northwest of Chicago. The train going back to Chicago will be arriving in 5-10 minutes. I just completed my photography work in Des Plaines and so I had my full gear – a big backpack and camera equipment. I had to cross the street but the pedestrian light was red. The cars were stopped since the traffic light was red too. While the light was red, I ran across the street then as if I was shot by a sniper, I collapsed to the ground. My cellular phone went flying and I found myself face first down the ground. I sat up writhing in pain for a few minutes. There were people who started to approach me but I stood up and gave them a thumbs up since the train was arriving in a few seconds.
Back in Chicago. I had to zombie-walk all the way to my apartment since I only had 4 bucks and couldn’t afford a cab. 40 minutes later, I was able to crawl on to my couch and rest my severely sprained ankle.

I’ve had sprains before but most of them I was able to walk and laugh off. This one? I was wincing in pain for the next few hours as it started to stiffen up. The pain was so much that I had teary eyes and I developed fever. I couldn’t put any weight on it and I had to hop around on my left leg. Since my left knee isn’t strong enough, it started to hurt and I had to resort to crawling around like a fat Gollum.
Don’t you love the irony? The last 2 years, I’ve gone skiing, played basketball, ran along Lakeshore drive, played tennis and have regular gym workouts and at worst I only got minor cuts and bruises. I cross a street and badly sprain an ankle. The next morning the swelling was worse than I thought as its swollen on both the left and right side. The blood clotted around the injury and foot looks like an eggplant.

The flies are just for effect...
It’s always interesting when fate plays a game called “Up yours, Arnold”.

2 comments:
you better get this checked... this looks worse than a regular sprain. i had one like that and i dislocated my ankle... hope it's not bad. hope you feel better!
really? well, this doesn't look like my previous sprains. I haven't sprained my ankle like this before. I'll wait for the swelling to go away then I'll reassess. =) thanks Gwenny!
Thanks din to others who checked up on me =)
Post a Comment