Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The Day My Wiper Bailed Out

It was raining hard this morning just like it did the past few days. I was stuck in the usual C5 morning traffic listening to Chico and Delamar gazing at the dark sky through my windshield which was temporarily cleared by my old reliable wipers which would wipe the rainwater off for a few seconds before it gets shrouded again.

The wipers each have 2 main clips on each end and 4 others in the middle. The 2 at the end hold the wiper blade while the 4 give it that arched design so it can glide through the glass cleanly. Then came the most horrific scene of the day, one of the clips came loose as the wiper was somewhat severely arched like a crossbow. What the?!?

Taran-taran-tarararan…

“Pop!” goes the wiper…


It was like I pressed the “eject wiper” button somewhere in the dashboard as it flew out – like a missile. Good thing it landed on top of my hood.

The bad news is that with the wiper out, the right side of the windshield wasn’t being cleared. The good news is that the left one was still working. The really really bad news is that without the right wiper, the 6 clips turned into 6 claws badly scratching away at my windshield. I quickly turned it off as the irritating metal-to-glass scratching sound was gone.

Great. Now I can’t see a thing.

I stopped and got out the car to fix the wiper blade. So there I was, drenched in the rain, studying how the whole wiper thing works by studying the left one and comparing it with the right one until I realized that the wiper blade is already damaged and I cannot really fix it.

Ok McGyver within, let’s see what you got.

I just reclipped it. I didn’t have time to gather up a paper clip, a string and some bubblegum (I dunno… this is what McGyver would look for I assume) and I was already drenched in the rain just like in those boyband music videos.

It worked… for a while. In Makati, the wiper came loose again and it started scratching at the windshield. I just turned it off and used my Jedi powers to navigate all the way until the office parking lot. Actually I was driving with my head constantly bobbing like a parrot looking for spaces on the windshield that is clear of rainwater. I also stick my head out of the side window ala Ace Ventura (but not all the way of course). Some Jedi power eh?

Going home tonight will be trickier I imagine…

No comments: