Saturday, June 30, 2007

The Chase

The effects of having a late lunch -> come dinner time, you think you’re full and will just wait for breakfast but around 10pm you couldn’t sleep because now you’re too hungry.

11pm.

I wanted to cook something but I don’t want to start any kitchen disasters so I headed out and searched for any open fast food joint. A block away was a McDonald’s but it was closed already. There should also be a Popeyes somewhere but it was also closed. Subway, Chipotle, Potbelly Sandwich, West Egg Cafe … Closed, closed, closed, too expensive. I know a 24 hour McDonald’s but it’s a mile away. Hooters? Also too far. I gave up and decided to go home instead or drop by 7-11 to buy a Snickers bar or a hotdog. 4 blocks away from home, this guy came up to me and was asking something. He walked nearer and nearer until he’s within arm’s reach and he’s STILL walking nearer.

I’ve seen this before. Someone asks something then sticks a knife to your gut.

I took a few steps back. He took a few steps towards me. I took two quick steps back. He was sort of lunging at me.

Feet: “It’s time to run right?”
Brain: “Not so fast. Arn wrote an article before that he was tired of running and that he shouldn’t run from anything again. No more running he said."
Feet: “Oh, screw that entry!”
Brain: “GO GO GO!”

I turned around and ran like hell. He paused for a few seconds then he started to chase me! I don’t want to run to my place because that would lead him to where I’m staying. I wanted to run to another hotel/apartment and hide. One block away and he was still after me. Think think think, I have the stamina of an 80 year old man. I know I can only run for 4 blocks at most… 6 blocks tops if I’m chased. If he continues, I'll have to turn around and fight. I thought about what was in my pockets and checked if I can use anything to cause physical harm.

Keys… it won’t do a thing.
A grocery card (like a credit card)… too soft.
A quarter… won’t help.
A 20 dollar bill… I’ll really put up a fight before I give up this one.
A pair of tweezers… what do you want me to do? Pluck his eyebrows? (I picked up the tweezers on my way home earlier that day because i have a hangnail.)

I ran diagonally and ran into the street. I was good at frogger while I was a kid anyway. 2 blocks away he stopped chasing me and I found myself far from home now. I took the long route back. Long but well lit… panting and wheezing and running more if my legs permitted me to. I came home exhausted. My knees hurt. My back hurt. My heart was beating like crazy.

Well, the objective was to find something to rid my hunger. After all that, I was in no mood to do anything but sleep. Mission accomplished.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my.. true ito? buti na lang na outrun mo lolo.. :(

Arn said...

Yup :S

I can't say I was getting mugged (kasi baka naman may itatanong lang sya) but that late i'm not trusting anyone.

Better safe (and running) than sorry.

I can't say I outran him either (wait for my entry on my Lakeshore stories). I think it was because I ran towards Michigan ave (a very busy street here).