Thursday, March 10, 2011

American Idol 2011 Top 13

Steven always likes it (or always agrees with Randy and JLo), JLo doesn’t make sense and Randy just seems to just go with the flow. I still think American Idol needs a gong, more contestants in bikinis and Ricky Gervais.

That tears it! I’m writing my own reviews!

Lauren Alaina
“Any Man of Mine” by Shania Twain

Picked a safe song and sang it in a safe way. She manages to give a decent but forgettable performance with the aim of just making it to next week then hopes that one or two people slip up and forget the words or something. It’s the best tactic in elimination reality shows though, just be faster than the slowest guy around.

Grade: B-

Casey Abrams
“With a Little Help From My Friends” by Joe Cocker

I guess Idol made it clear they don’t want any guitar playing soft rocker anymore and this happy guy may be what they’re looking for. I’m still waiting for that one big night where he ultimately shows his vocal range… or the night his beard gets tangled in the microphone head.

Grade: A-

Ashton Jones
“When You Tell Me That You Love Me” by Diana Ross

Didn’t like it. It looks like she was more focused on looking good on camera than nailing her notes. She did get the high note in the end but everything else before it was not so good.

Grade: C+

Paul McDonald
“Come Pick Me Up” by Ryan Adams

Came out with a marine uniform and looked really really creepy at the start. Jaye asked me three or four times if he was high and I didn’t have a good answer. Quirky has been overused to describe him and it will be interesting what he does in the upcoming weeks.

Grade: B+

Pia Toscano
“All By Myself” by Celine Dion

Great performance but again, you don’t want to peak in this competition this early. She could have danced the chicken dance, smiled in front of the camera, Steven Tyler would like it, JLo would cry and Randy Jackson would say it’s good dawg good and she still wouldn’t be voted out.

Grade A-

James Durbin
“Maybe I’m Amazed” by Paul McCartney

I’m surprised he didn’t scream the entire song out. He toned it down a little and gave a solid and confident performance. He still needs to separate himself from Adam Lambert (or according to Jaye - Adam Sandler... eh?).

Grade: A+

Haley Reinhart
“Blue” by LeAnn Rimes

Zzzz... huh? Song’s done? Why is Miley Cyrus on the stage? Oh wait…

Grade: zzz

Jacob Lusk
"I Believe I Can Fly" by R. Kelly

Three things Jaye and I were debating about: (1) whether or not he should concentrate on his low voice range or high voice range, (2) whether he should sing something more up tempo and (3) if you can fit three or four golf balls in his mouth.

Grade: B- (meh)

Thia Megia
“Smile” by Michael Jackson

Great start but terrible finish. Jaye told me if I wasn’t writing anything good about her, just don’t write anything at all.

(empty space)

Grade: uh… abstain?

Stefano Langone
“Lately” by Stevie Wonder

This song is for people who can reach and sustain the high note but instead he danced his way around it. He felt as comfortable as someone who’s trying to eat soup with a fork. (Jaye: wag mo awayin yan! Love ni Tere yan!)

Grade: F... as in "Fine..."

Karen Rodriguez
“I Could Fall In Love” by Selena

I quickly pointed out that she was sucking up to JLo since JLo played Selena in one of her movies. 5 minutes into the song and I gladly washed the dishes just to get out of the living room.

Grade: D

Scotty McReery
“The River” by Garth Brooks

The song’s great. Voice is smooth and he gave a clean performance but he violated one of Jaye’s rules: “Wag kang feeling pogi kung di ka pogi”. I still think he looks like Tucker from “There’s Something About Mary”

Grade: A-

Naima Adedapo
“Umbrella” by Rihanna

She was all over the place and I think at one point she even mistimed her breathing. She was fun to watch and she gave a complete song and dance performance but if you’re going to tire yourself out dancing, concentrate on singing first.

Grade: C+

Bottom 3 Prediction: Ashthon, Karen, Haley

I say Karen goes out, Steven likes everything again and JLo still won't make any sense at all.

No comments: