Saturday, December 19, 2009

Philstar Run2009

It’s official. I’ve signed up for my first ever running event – the 5K in Christmas Celebrity Run2009 on December 20 sponsored by The Philippine Star. I’m running with my brother Paolo and two nephews, Mycky and Anjo. The event will benefit GILAS (Gearing Up Internet Literacy and Access for Students).

I’m unable to obtain an official list of the actual celebrities who will be running but based on an old report, the following will be joining: Christine Jacob-Sandejas, Maricel Laxa, Anthony Pangilinan, Gary V, Rovilson Fernandez, Marc Nelson, Claudine Barretto, Raymart Santiago, KC Concepcion, Drew Arellano, Piolo Pascual. According to the guy who processed my form, Jericho Rosales (10K), Carlos Agassi (10K), Marc Nelson (21K) and Tuesday Vargas (21K) will be there.

As for my training, I treated my injured foot and tried to do a 5K. The result:

5.01 km in 41 minutes

That’s longer than an episode of CSI.

My foot held up well but now I have a dull pain on both my knees forcing me to take additional rest days and extra stretching sessions.

By the way, funny story: I had a quick 2.5KM run the other night at 11pm. The streets are practically deserted and it was darker than usual since the Christmas lights have been turned off. Running in this environment is peaceful but sometimes gives me the creeps. After running through this small dark road, I turned into this 4 lane main road. Immediately after turning, I slowed down into a lazy jog as I was shocked with what I saw next: ~50 people half a mile away, mostly dressed in white were walking very slowly towards me.

I stopped and placed my hands on my waist. I know there's a logical explanation for this but I'm telling you, they all looked like zombies to me. I guess I've been playing too much Left for Dead and Dead Rising. I walked slowly and when they got nearer, nope, they're people. There was this group of ladies that simultaneously cackled and it echoed through the night. Eventually, I realized what was going on... Simbang Gabi.

After doing my final physical evaluation, I’m good to go despite a sore right foot, a sore right ankle and a sore knee. I’m not really sure what to expect tomorrow but my objective is to just finish standing up and not be hauled on a stretcher. I’m a bit worried though since my last workout just lasted 1.25KM after I suffered that side stitch thing but I have to consider that my body clock is all messed up since I worked night shifts the past few days.

Bahala na si Batman… updates tomorrow! :D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you can do it, honey!!! i'm cheering for you!!!!