Just a recap, we've now had 3 games in the basketball league in our company. I missed the 1st game because I had a conference call. I played in the 2nd game but I really didn't do anything except run back and forth and launch an airball from a very goofy angle.
The third game came and I wasn't as giddy anymore. It was just like any other game for me and I was actually feeling better this time because my physical rehab has been coming along well. We were up against a good team and so I know I'll probably play during garbage time or not at all. The game was your usual game and we eventually lost since they were just that good.
I got to enter the game once in the second quarter and I started the fourth quarter. I played a total of four minutes and it was the usual game for me - I run back and forth, wave my arms like an idiot and shoot the occassional airball. I finished 0-2 with one airball and one foul. Three interesting incidents though:
- I played forward in this game which means I had to rebound. The opponent took a shot and missed. As soon as it hit the rim, I jumped and severely mistimed the rebound. I'm not sure what happened, maybe I thought I was seven feet or I was playing NBA Live.
- I was battling for a rebound with this tall guy. The fatso that I am, I do my rebound battles on the ground by shoving you. If it becomes a jumping contest, I'm the last guy on the team you want for that. Tall guy jumps and gets a rebound while I pathetically jump and try to swipe it from him. I didn't reach the ball (hey, I couldn't even reach his elbows). I got called for the foul and I complained to the ref that I couldn't even jump and touch the guy, how could that be a foul?
- Funny sequence: we scored so I ran back on defense. After crossing midcourt, we stole the ball so I ran back. They missed the layup and I ran back on defense again. We quickly got the ball back and everyone ran for a quick offense. I was already panting and wheezing at that time. After we scored again I ran back as fast as I can on defense and went into position complete with the textbook defensive stance. I looked for my teammates and they were... on the bench drinking water? They called a time out and I was alone in the court looking like an idiot.
Jaye arrived during the fourth quarter. Good thing she was able to catch up since she had a conference call as well that night. I was already done though and I've loosened up my shoes and my knee braces. Jaye was standing beside Des who's the girlfriend of our team's best player, Don. On the court, Don was sprinting down the court, eludes two defenders off the dribble and finished with a contested reverse lay up. Everyone cheered as he ran back. Everyone was watching this guy while Jaye was watching this other guy on the bench who's highlight of the quarter was drinking a liter of Gatorade and going to the rest room every other timeout. It made me realize more how lucky I am.
Thursday, July 02, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment