Monday, December 11, 2006

TV or Not TV

(ugh, what a corny title but after writing it I couldn't think of anything else... anyways...)

After work, Jaye and I dropped by Glorietta to (1) canvas for a 5K 14 inch TV, (2) do grocery and (3) buy a gc at Nike.

We first dropped by Ansons where we scouted for TVs. I’ll be honest, I know almost nothing about TV features other that it being cable-ready or not. We first checked the no brand name section – cheap but feature packed units. Next we went to the branded section (JVC, Samsung, etc) where they have units with the same price but less features. We walked around the Sony section (Sony had it’s own area!?) and Jaye saw me laughing. I was walking around and pointing at the price tags… never thought Sony TV’s were this expensive. It was that kind of laugh but no of the "ha ha" variety… it was more like, "holy crap! it costs that much?!?"

Scouting was over and we were thinking about this one set that was reasonable but was over our budget and wasn’t the size we were looking for. We went to Landmark to do our groceries. Jaye and I share plenty of similarities, one of which is – we hate crowds and lines. We saw the people over at Landmark and aborted the grocery trip in a snap. Next was Nike where we bought a GC.

Sorry, I really can’t think of anything funny that happened over at Nike. What a boring store. I think it’s really because we couldn’t get the TV out of our heads. We were now computing how much the TV would cost, what it would take to buy it (what do we give up), where will we place it, etc… We went back to Ansons and ended up purchasing the 21 inch TV. It looked cool, really. The only problem now was where to put it on. The TV didn’t come with a free TV rack like the other flat screen versions. The TV rack wasn’t in our budget and we were now thinking of alternative McGyver-like alternatives. They brought out the new set, pulled it out of the box, turned the box over and before they could set the TV on top of the box, I looked at Jaye with a smirk, Jaye looked back with the same smile and gave me a "problem solved" high five. It was funny how we think the same.

The guy was now blabbering stuff about the TV, features, specs etc and the way he was saying it, it was obvious he memorized those from the manual. Jaye asked what the other differences are between the 14inch model and the 21inch model. The guy was quick to answer…

“ay marami ho m’am, pag 21 inch ho, mas malaki ang screen kaysa 14 inch. Tapos po mas malaki yung mga objects sa screen kaya di nyo na po kailangan tignan ng maigi.”

(for my EOP and foreign friends... read with a tagalog accent: “der are plenty op difrences m’am, da 21 inch model has a bigger scrin dan da 14 inch one. Da objects are bigger also and so you don’t have to look closer”)

Really? I never thought of that…

We completed the purchase and they carried the set over to my car. When we got home, I pulled out the TV set from the car (by myself), carried the TV to the room (by myself) and acted really macho and manly (trying to impress Jaye) then had to wince in pain, hold my back and say as quietly as possible “ooooooowwwwww” (while Jaye wasn’t looking).

The first TV set we bought… one of so many fun things just waiting to happen =)

No comments: