I was walking home from Borders and this guy walking opposite where I was going reached for his wallet causing a bundle of bills fell from his pocket. It was a thick wad with lots of twenties. He didn’t notice he was now short around 200 dollars and was nonchalantly walking away.
What do I do? The devil and an angel appeared on my shoulder. He doesn’t look rich so I think he needs this money. I’m in full “tipid” mode and 200 dollars will certainly help me out. It took me half a second to think and another 3 seconds to translate what I was going to say in English then I told the guy, “Hey buddy, you dropped something.” while pointing to the bills. “Oh Sh*t!!!” he screamed and ran back to pick up his money. He ran towards me and thanked me.
The rest of my walk home felt good.
I always have these angel-devil moments. Unlike others though, my angel and my devil always work on a compromise and they’re pretty good friends, sometimes even agreeing 100% on certain situations. Like one time in Aurora, I picked up a pair of Reebok sneakers which were on super sale. The devil told me to buy it since it looked good and I need a second pair of shoes. Angel told me that it was a good deal since it was just 20 bucks – pretty cheap for walking shoes this good then they gave each other a high five. *apir!*
In this case, devil wanted me to call the guy’s attention but if he offers something, take it. I’m not evil but I’m not a saint either.
Nope, the guy didn't offer anything. Did I regret what I did? 200 dollars din yun. Nah, I did the right thing and I know i would feel worse if I took it.
What if he dropped 500 dollars worth of bills instead of 200 dollars? Hmmm... probably I would still call his attention and tell him he dropped something...
...pero Tagalog. :P

2 comments:
you did a very nice thing :) and you know what, if you kept it... it will haunt you forever. hahah. nothing brings more happiness than a clear conscience. :)
true true! :)
Post a Comment