Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Thoughts while walking downtown

My usual trip to the library was a little interesting today. There was a lot of people downtown, mostly Latinos who participated in the "A Day Without Immigrants" rally at Grant Park.

My first thought was "wow, it looks a lot like Makati at 5:30pm on a Friday.". Until I noticed some things:

  • Sure it caused traffic, but the cars were still moving. Slow. But moving nonetheless.
  • The crowd was disciplined. They lined up for the subways and waited for pedestrian signals. No one complained. They just followed.
  • No street vendors.
  • On my way back from the library, there were only a few people left walking in the streets… which were still clean.

Hmmm… now it just looked a little like Makati… until I started observing the obvious things like the Sears Tower which is no PBCom, McDonald's restaurants with no Jollibees nearby (unheard of!!!), the temperature, the wind… hey I can go on all day…

Nah… not even close.

Oh by the way, I got me (finally) a library card! Wheee…

No comments: